There can be several reasons that you want to change IMEI number of your Android phone. Most of the apps these days connect to the phone’s IMEI number to prevent you from creating multiple accounts on the same device for, maybe, exploiting their referral programs.
This is where you might want to change IMEI on your phone to take advantage of those luring services being offered by the apps. Be it a rooted Android device or an unrooted one, we have got you covered.
How to Change IMEI Number of Android Phone
Before going ahead with the process, you must note down the current IMEI number somewhere safe. To find out the IMEI number of your phone, just dial *#06# and your IMEI number(s) would be displayed. Now you can proceed with the process of changing the IMEI number.
Change IMEI Number of Android Phone WITHOUT Root
(For MTK Chipset)
Not everyone is comfortable with rooting their Android phones, for some, it is a tedious process that, if gone wrong, can brick the device, while the others fear about the warranty being voided. Either way, you will have to find a way to change the IMEI of Android phone without rooting it.
There is a way to do this but is applicable only for Android devices with MediaTek chipsets. Here are the steps you need to follow to change the IMEI of your Android phone-
- First of all, you will have to download the Mobile Uncle App from this link. [https://drive.google.com/file/d/0Bydl33vih1zXUG90bUtXSlBoZlk/view]
- Install it and then open it to find Engineer Mode. Click on it and then select Engineer mode (MTK).
- There, you will have to scroll down and click on CDS Information, after which you will have to select Radio Information. Once done, you will be able to see two options. You have to select Phone 2.
- You will then get to see an option like AT+. There you will need to enter the new IMEI number in this format- AT+ <new 15-digit IMEI number>, for example, AT+ 123456789012345.
- After you have entered the number, select SEND TO COMMAND.
- Then, you need to restart your device and you will now have the new IMEI number on your Android phone.
Change IMEI Number of Android Phone WITH Root
As said above, not all are comfortable rooting their Android phone, but there are a few who do. If you have a rooted device and want to change its IMEI number, then you need to follow a different set of steps which we have mentioned below.
Requirements to Change IMEI Number of Android Phone [ROOTED DEVICE]
- A rooted Android device.
- Xposed [http://dl.xposed.info/latest.apk] should be installed on the device.
- IMEI Changer app, which you can download from the Google Play Store. [https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.vivek.imeichanger&hl=en]
- An active internet connection.
Steps to Change IMEI Number of a Rooted Android Phone
- The first here is to get the original IMEI number of your phone and write it down somewhere for future use.
- Now you need to head to Xposed and then click on Modules. Tick mark on the IMEI Changer APK as Module.
- Once done, you will have to restart your phone.
- After the phone restarts, you will need to open the IMEI Changer It will display the original IMEI number of the phone and you will have to enter the new IMEI number in the section given below.
- Click on Apply and restart your phone to apply the changes. Once the phone restarts, you can check by dialing *#06# and see if the new number is in place or not.
You must realize that changing the IMEI number of a phone is illegal in many countries and it shouldn’t be done to take part in any criminal or illegal activities.
Also Read –