Recently I attended one Intel event where the Intel team shared more about the 6th generation processors called SkyLake. From the initial impression, Skylake seems to be standing quite tall in terms of performance, battery life and graphics. The company said that these new Intel chips will offer “2.5x better productivity performance, 3x longer battery life, and 30x better 3D graphics performance as compared to a 5-year-old notebook PC”.
Image Source – www.ocaholic.ch
Let’s take a look on what Intel’s 6th generation processors have for you –
- A better user friendly interface
- Always-on voice command response
- Built in game recording
- Faster resume from sleep (almost in a half second)
- Face reorganization
- Powerful integrated graphics
- Wireless display
- DirectX 12 framework for Gaming
Skylake which is claimed by the company to be specially optimized for Windows 10 will be available in wide range of devices including Laptops, PCs, Tablets, 2 in 1s and all in 1s. Intel’s 6th gen processors are classified according to their series and are as follows –
• Five 4.5w Core Y series for small screen 2-in-1 PCs.
• Fourteen Core-U series at 15w or 28w, for 2-in-1 PCs and the thinnest laptops.
• Seven 45w Core-H series for laptops, including one unlocked for mainstream laptops.
• Twenty Core-S series at 91w, 65w or 35w, for desktops, mini-PCs or gaming PCs.
• Two 45w Xeon H series processors for mobile workstations.
The entire new range has 48 processors in total along with Core i7-6700K (costing about $350) and Core i5-6600K (costing about $243) which are Gaming oriented.
The gaming side of Intel’s 6th gen processors –
As stated above, the two processors – Core i7-6700K and i5-6600K are specially made for gaming fans. Both of them are quad core processors with i7 supporting Hyper-threading. The processors also feature overclocking in K170 chipset. However, the i7-6700K is smart enough to speed up itself to 4.2GHz in Turbo mode.
You can find Intel’s 6th gen processors in following devices –
• Lenovo Mixx 700 – 6th gen Core M7 processor.
• Asus ROG G752 laptop – 6th gen Core i7 processor.
• Toshiba Satellite Radius 12 – 6th gen Intel Core i7 processor.
Various manufacturers including HP, Lenovo, Dell will soon have their devices featuring 6th gen Intel core processors out in the market. Check Intel news-release on same – Intel.com